Whether they like to admit it or not, countless women struggle with body hair. Shaving has previously been the most obvious choice for ridding the body and face of unwanted hair, however, shaving often causes several red bumps to form on the skin due to irritation. In order to avoid choosing between red bumps or pesky hairs, it’s becoming more popular to pluck body hair instead of shaving it. After all, who has time to sit down and pluck every hair and that is where the epilator comes in.
Today we take a look at the Philips Satinelle Corded Epilator HP6423 – a device that contains several easy to use high-speed rotating tweezer discs that work to pluck out body hair mechanically. The epilator removes hair straight from the root in order to provide smoother skin for longer periods of time as opposed to shaving that merely removes the top of the hair which can quickly regrow. It also eliminates the worry of irritated skin and ingrown hairs.
Three easy steps make the epilator the perfect hair removal option. Good exfoliation technique, followed by the epilator set on the preferred speed while being held at a 90 degree angle, will successfully remove body hair. After following up with moisturiser, individuals can have smooth skin for up 4 weeks on average.
Features of the Philips Satinelle HP6423
- This Satinelle Epilator comes with the epilator head, which contains gentle tweezing discs that remove hair up to 0.5 mm. It also includes a shaving head for electric shaving preferences and a trimming comb attachment that can be used with the shaving head to trim longer body hair before shaving.
- There are two speed settings which cater to personal preferences as well as different forms of body hair, newbies will likely find the lower speed setting ideal for their first few sessions and advanced users will also find it suitable for use on more sensitive areas.
- The epilator head, as well as the two attachments, can be removed and easily cleaned with water. The product also includes a wire brush for cleaning purposes which i think is a neat little addition as it seems all to often manufacturers forget about the hygiene aspect of these devices.
- The rounded shape of the product offers an ergonomic grip which molds easily into the hand and is comfortable to use for extended periods of time, something that i couldn’t say about every epilator I’ve tried! It also features a small grip pad above the head of the epilator for easy use.
- For easy travelling opportunities, this product also comes with a travel pouch that holds the epilator, power cord, cleaning comb and extra attachments.
- As you might expect coming from a leading bran like Philips the epilator itself has a high build quality.
- To add a little feminine flair, the front of the product is designed with a pretty blue flower design. Yes i know, this is probably not a feature that’s going to persuade you to choose this model over others, but still, I notice these things!
- The process results in smooth skin for longer periods of time since hair is removed from the root.
- Skin irritation and ingrown hairs are less likely due to the tweezing process.
- The attachments allow more sensitive areas, such as the bikini line or underarms, to be taken care off without plucking or shaving with a razor.
- The epilator head and attachments are easy to remove and clean.
- The size and shape of the product allows for easy grip as well as coming with its own travel bag which makes it easier to tuck away in a suitcase or overnight bag for those occasions when we need last minute hair removal.
- Because the product is powered with a cord, individuals will not have to worry about purchasing batteries or remembering to set it on a charger. Though this also counts against the Satinelle HP6423 as you’ll see below.
- The two speeds offer easy options for different areas of the body as well as personal preferences.
- The rotating tweezer discs do not have to be replaced as often as razor blades, indeed you should get many a years use out of the device.
- The epilator is easy to use and only requires three easy steps for soft, smooth skin.
- Unlike waxing or shaving, using an epilator does not require any creams, waxes or butters so it results in a cleaner and less complicated process.
- Because the hair removal lasts longer, you do not have to go through the epilating process as often as you would have to with shaving.
- Although it does remove hair more effectively, epilators can be painful for the first time user due to the direct plucking of the hair.
- Because of the power cord, it can sometimes be difficult to get to hard-to-reach areas. Not to mention you cannot take this device into the shower or bath with you which is a huge negative for me.
All in all it’s a decent little epilator and as one of the cheaper models around it’s certainly good value for money. However, as i mentioned above the fact that it is corded prevents it from achieving a higher position in our ratings. I mean who wants to have to be tied down to a socket, if you’re anything like me you’ll be wandering around your bedroom listening to some good music with a glass of wine to hand. Just imagine, having to choose between epilator and wineglass as the cord just doesn’t quite reach!
On a serious note though, it’s a decent little epilator for those seeking to try out epilating for the first time at a reasonable price. However the more advanced user is likely going to prefer a more suitable model such as the SatinSoft.
You can see just how well the Satinelle HP6423 stacks up against other epilators on our comparison chart here.